Tuesday, August 14, 2012

I have made it through the White Mountains, and it was by far the most physically challenging week on the trail. It was also rewarding, and the mountains were very beautiful. The trail went above treeline for the first time, which is only about 4400 feet up here, and we were blessed with good weather. It rained 2.5 inches the night before we climbed Washington, but the skies cleared for us when the sun arose. The trails were very treacherous at times and we only got hit with rain above treeline once. The trail was so steep and slick at times it was nerve-racking, and there is definitely a sense of relief being done with it.

I am in Gorham, NH, which is our last planned zero day. Tomorrow evening we plan to be on the Maine state line. There are 5 town stops from there and 280 miles to Katahdin: Andover, Rangeley, Stratton, Caratunk, Monson, and through the hundred mile wilderness to the end. This should take about 3 weeks. This coming week will be very difficult still, but then things smooth out.

Yesterday upon entering our "old-fashioned" motel room my body just shut down. I was running on fumes. It will be adrenaline that pulls my body through this. The end is just about in sight, and it is quite hard to believe. I have been filling up on food, specifically fast food. Apparently there is none in Maine. In fact, I don't think there is much of anything in Maine, except water. I will try to keep up on here. Maine is said to be the most rugged and remote state on the trail.

Thank you all for following. I really do appreciate it. It helps to keep me going.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Seth and Norm
    The end is in sight and it sounds like the most challenging terrain is behind you. Tom and I track your daily progress and send you our energy and admiration Think of all that begin this journey and never finish. . This trip will be an experience that will serve you through other challenging times in your life.
    Wish we could be there to join the celebration at the end.
    Love to you both,
    Gail & Tom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your continued support. It means a lot and will carry us through.

      Delete